Friday, July 13, 2012

Up Ledge...X3

Yesterday was probably the hardest ride I've taken all summer on my Ride with Attitude Sports.  I decided it was a good idea to bike up the ledge three times.  It was my longest ride this summer by about seven miles.

The first time up the ledge I felt really good.  It was fast and I had consistent peddling.  I tried really hard to focus on not pushing too hard because I knew I had two more laps yet and being that I was a sprinter in track, I have a real problem pacing myself.  The second time up was noticeably slower but I still felt like I was doing ok.  I did take a spill which didn't help.  There was some gravel on the road and down I went, just another reason to always wear a helmet.  The third time up was not fun.  My legs were dead, I was tired, hungry, and it didn't help my self-esteem when a different biker literally flew by me half way up.  By the time I got to the top of the hill at about 26 miles I wanted to be done.  I was able to finish up fairly strong, at least biking my average speed of 17.1 mph. 

It was a hard trip and I've got a lot of work to do.  One thing I need to do is make sure my body is ready to go on longer trips.  According to my Garmin Edge 200 from Attitude Sports, I burned about 1,950 calories on that ride.  I'm not really sure, but I think that's a lot.  And climbing is still tough. I actually feel ok today because of stretching and icing after the ride.   I still think though that it was a good ride of over 34 miles and about two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment