Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Morning Ride with Attitude Sports

I am not a morning person.  I can get up if I have to but I don't like it and haven't had to for physical activities since college when I was in track.  However, with this heat and with the 70 mile Tour De Fest in Kimberly this weekend I needed to get out and ride.  Morning riding was the answer I guess.

After the previous ride that I took, Up the Ledge x3, I was very concerned about putting the right things in my body before a ride.  I was exhausted, hungry, and knew that I wasn't prepared for a longer ride like that.  Yesterday I went to Attitude Sports to hear what I can do to better prep for a ride.  They have lots of gels, gummies, and drink mixes and explained what they all do and why I would need them.  I ended up trying GU Energy Gel and Hammer Heed which is a high energy electrolyte drink mix.  The Heed does what Gatorade does but with none of the sugars which can slow you down and don't last that long.  They explained it's better than water because too much water can wash out all of your electrolytes and lead to cramping.  The GU Energy Gel is used pre ride and a few times during longer rides.


I think they both really helped.  Since I biked earlier in the morning I didn't have time to eat breakfast but I didn't feel overly fatigued or hungry during or after the ride because of the GU Energy Gel, and it tasted good too.  Even though it was a morning ride, it was still one of the hottest I've taken but I didn't cramp up.  I was worried that I was going to because normally I'm very hydrated because of all the water I drink throughout the day.  I also finally bought a pair of biking shorts with the extra padding in the rear end.  It wasn’t quit like sitting in the Ally’s Furniture Sweet Seat but much more comfortable than before.

The ride was still hot and it was very windy which didn't help.  I went around Fondy on the Prairie View Trail and then up the ledge, which I still need to work on.  In total I biked 25.5. 

1 comment: