Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I'm Not Afriad Anymore...Wait...Yes I Am

We all have things from our childhood that scared us.  Maybe it was the basement, maybe a certain part of the woods, maybe a doll that your grandma had.  Sometimes that frightening thing comes from a TV or movie.

Yesterday I found a list of the 20 scary characters from our childhood.  Here's a few of them.

Darth Vader - Star Wars (1977-83) 

I personally wasn't scared of Darth Vadar, actually the opposite.  I thought he was the greatest.  Cool voice, awesome helmet, and truly depicts the Dark Side. 

Noseybonk - Jigsaw (1979-84)

I've never seen this show but I guess it's an educational show. With a mask like that I don't know what they are trying to teach, good hiding places?

Skeksis - The Dark Crystal (1982)

Jim Henson created this horrifying character.  He actually has quit a few that keep me awake at night. This is the one on the list that gave me a nightmare last night.  I've never seen the film and I don't think I ever will.

The Coachman - Pinocchio (1940)

Pinocchio is a messed up film.  I recently re-watched this and what the heck was that?  Why did my parents let me watch this.  It's not necessarily a scary movie but I can understand why some people would have this on their list.  I was more afraid of Stromboli than the coachman though. 

Stripe - Gremlins (1984)

I've seen Gremlins and they still scare me.  I know that's wimpy but look at that face.  When something that's supposed to be for children turns scary and evil, that's when I hid under the covers. 
 

Vigo the Carpathian - Ghostbusters II (1989)

I love the Ghostbusters films and they aren't scary.  Vigo is a very good villain but he's not too frightening.  I do sometimes think that eyes in paintings are following me because of him though. The things from Ghostbusters that did bother me a little were those dog looking things from the first film.

Pennywise - It (1990)

Personally, I'm not afraid of clowns.  They really don't bother me at all.  That being said, I've never read or seen "It".  That could chance my perspective.


Like I said earlier, some of Jim Henson's puppets and other creations have sent me running.  Honestly, one still freaks me out to this day.  Even though I love the Muppets and recognize that Jim Henson is the best puppeteer ever, Sweetums scares the bejesus out of me.  I think he's supposed to be a nice guy and wouldn't hurt me but he looks mean and scary.  No thank you.

The other film (directed by Jim Henson) which I still maintain is the scariest movie ever is The Labyrinth.  Jim Henson created a frightening puppet world full of horrifying looking Muppets on acid and put David Bowie in charge of them.  Still to this day I can't make it though the entire film without getting too goosebumpy out and leaving. 

I know we should be able to tell ourselves that it's just a show or just a movie but it's hard.  Some things are just plan freaky.  Until we figure out how to get past those scary childhood characters, well, I just won't be sleeping for a while.



No comments:

Post a Comment