Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Top 10's of 2011



While listening to K107.1 over the past few days, you might have heard some of the on-air folks' top 10 songs of 2011. They were very fun to put together and hopefully you enjoyed listening to them. My top ten had some random and possibly embarrassing songs in there but I’m sticking with them. I had no criteria for how the songs were ordered or how they made the list. I do know I left of two or three that I wanted off the list. Here's an online audio less recap of "The 2nd Shift with Scot Frassetto's Top Ten of 2011."

The songs that didn't make the list: Coldplay-Paradise or Every Tear Drop is a Waterfall. Looking back at my list, I think one of these two songs really needed to be on the list. Great sounding tracks from a very good album. Also missing the list was Britney Spears-Til The World Ends. I loved the boy band pop princess days so Britney holds a special place in my music heart. I thought she went crazy and lost her place in the music world but when I heard Til The World Ends and saw the music video I knew she was back.

10.) Sara Bareilles-Gonna Get Over You. This song originally wasn't on my list but at the last minute I changed it. It's such a bubbly fun song with an old time radio sound with the piano and background vocals. I'm lucky we don't have cameras in the studio because you'd see me bopping and singing to this song whenever it's on.

9.) OneRepublic-Good Life. I really like OneRepublic. They might be my favorite "new" band. I like the over use of the snare drum in many of their songs. Good Life, though not my favorite song by OneRepublic easily makes my top ten.

8.) Decembrists- Down by the Water. I like folk sounding rock music and I like the band R.E.M. and the Decembrists are a folk rock band who sounds like R.E.M. They aren't the most popular band but I really enjoy them.

7.) Red Hot Chili Peppers- Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie. I probably should have put this song higher in my list. The Chili Peppers are one of my favorite bands. They've rocked since the late 80's and for them to still be making great music is pretty awesome. Rain Dance Maggie's just another great sounding tune from a band who knows music.

6.) Taylor Swift - Story of Us. Here's where I embarrass myself. I hated her in college. Then a few of my friends started playing her songs at the bars as a joke. They were catchy. Then I started working here and was exposed even more. Now I'm hooked and I can't help it. Maybe people my age don't like her but all of her songs are so catchy, I can't help it.

5.) Mumford and Sons- The Cave. When Little Lion Man came out I got into Mumford and Sons. A friend told me, "if you think that's good wait for The Cave." He was right. It's a great song and they really have an original sound. I hope they have continued success.

4.) Joy Formidable - Whirring. I just like this song. I like alternative rock and I like the mix of the female voice thrown into rock music.

3.) Foo Fighters - Walk. Wasting Light, the album this song comes from, might be one of the best rock albums of the past 15 years. It was recorded in analog, free from digital fixes. Music isn't perfect, there should be imperfections and that's what makes the Foo Fights so perfect.

2.) 311 - Sun Set in July. This is a great summer song with a great chorus. I listened to it almost everyday this summer. I actually like winter but when I hear this song I miss summer and how care free summer can be.

1.) Blink 182 - Up All Night. When Blink broke up around 2005 I never thought I'd hear them play together again. They all had successful side projects. I thought they were done which was sad because their self titled album in 20o5 was a very mature sounding punk rock album. When I heard they were getting back together I was very excited and couldn't wait for the cd. The album has sounds from all of their old ones and Up All Night gets me pumped up. I almost took them out of the top spot after I saw them on Conan. They were awful. They stink live but they still put together a heck of a song and album in the studios so "Up All Night" is my top song of 2011. I can't wait to see what 2012 has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment