Monday, December 19, 2011

Re-Gifting...Is That Ok?



During this time of red and green everything isn't so black and white. The one thing that's been on my mind is the idea of re-gifting. Is that ok to do or not? I've never done it before and I don't believe I've ever been the victim of re-gifting so it's a newer concept to me. However, this year I'm having so much trouble coming up with good gift ideas for some of my family members, re-gifting seems like a decent option. I'm not talking about giving someone some piece of junk that I just don't want anymore. I wouldn't do that but what about something that they’ve said they liked of yours?

There are a few ways I've been looking at it. If I were the person receiving the gift how would I feel? To me that's a hard one to figure out. If it were something I really wanted I suppose I wouldn't care and maybe that person doesn't know they are receiving a re-gifted gift. Another thing I've been thinking about is how the person that gave you the gift originally would feel if they knew you were re-gifting it. As the original gift giver, I think I'd feel like the person re-gifting didn't like it. Finally is that just too cheap of me? Does it look like I was too lazy and cheap to care about getting someone something new? In some situations it might make sense. For example my sister is a college student so she doesn't have the money to get lots of gifts for people. If I re-gifted to her maybe she would feel like she wouldn't have to spend much on me and I could save her some cash, which I'm more than ok with.

Maybe time will be the main factor in whether I re-gift or not this Holiday Season. Since I’m against Father Time’s Christmas clock and shopping isn’t my strong suit some people might be receiving some re-gifted items this year. If that’s not ok, I’m sorry I’m a Grinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment