Tuesday, January 10, 2012

If I Die Ap?

Death is a very interesting subject. I wonder where we go, if it hurts, you know the normal stuff. But I also wonder about other things too, like will people be sad and how will they think about me when I'm gone. I think about what my last words would be too. I hope my last words are with the people who I care about but you never know how it's going to happen.

But now thanks to the power of Facebook I know that my last words will be heard not only the ones I care about, but also the other X amount of people who I'm friends with on facebook. The social media site has created an "If I Die Ap". This is how it works; you write or post a video message into the ap on Facebook. Then you make three of your close friends your "trustees." If you pass away your trustees will confirm your death on the ap. After all three of them confirm that you are no longer with us, your farewell message will be posted for all the world to see.

I can see positives and negatives in all of this. The first thing I thought of (yes it's a morbid, sorry) is this would be a terrible practical joke. If your three trustees got together, all confirmed your death...I think you get my concern. The other thing that I don't know if I'd like is for EVERYONE to see my last farewell and to be honest I don't think most people would want to see it either. I'd imagine there being a lot of very personal feelings shared in those messages and for me, for every one of my Facebook friends to see it may just be too much.

The positive is you never know how or when your time is going to end. I'm going to want to make sure that the people who I love know that I appreciate what they've done for me and this ap helps make sure they know in a very personal way, especially if you were to post a video. The other positive is if you are dying your thoughts might not come out as articulately as you’d want. This way you can censor yourself a little and get everything you want out and everything you want to stay unknown remains unspoken. It's a very different ap, it's somewhat morbid, but it could be a nice way to say good bye. Hopefully not too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment