Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Man's Best Friend or What's Pulling Your Family Apart




People love their dogs. They are a part of the family. I never got along with my parents dog. She doesn't like me but I love her and she is part of the family (I was just jealous because she got her own room and I had to share with my brother). Dogs have often been referred to as man's best friend. However, man's best friend can make it hard for the non-canines in the family. A dog who lives to be 12 years old will be the cause of about 2,000 family arguments. That's about three per week. The doggy topic arguments range from how much to spend on a the pooch, what to do with it over the holidays, who's turn it is to walk it, or who has to clean up little Scruffy's droppings.

I know that little Oreo (that's my parents dog) caused quite a few arguments in the Frassetto house hold. The biggest one wasn't relieved until about 10 years after we got her. I didn't know we were getting a dog and I didn't want a dog, it was a surprise. There is a home video of my brother, sister and myself when we got her and I started crying. At the time my parents thought it was because I was happy. Not until 10 years after we had Oreo did I tell them that those were not tears of joy.

Otherwise the most common fight that we had over the dog was aimed at my dad who turned her into a beggar. She just started to whine at every meal. It was annoying but Dad would still "accidently" drop some food for her. We still yell at him for that.

I think the fact that a dog can lead to this many arguments says how important they actually are. I remember having tons of arguments with my siblings. So maybe the arguments about the dog just reflect on how they are valued in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment