Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Got Game-ing?




An article in USA Today says that more kids are playing video games. Not really earth shaking news. But the number of gamers is going up and now 91% of kids ages 2-17 are playing games. I found it interesting that the average age of a person who plays video games is 37. I guess I just find it hard to believe 60 year olds are playing Halo. I thought gaming was more of a teen thing. That's when I played most, from middle school to college. I still play but significantly less than those years. I figure the number of children gamers is up because of the new portable ways of gaming with apps on smart phones and other wireless devices. For me, it's still all about the N64. Let's take a trip down memory lane and take a look at some of the best video games in my opinion.



5.) Mario Super Sluggers (Wii) This game is why the Wii was made. Playing baseball with “real” swings and throws is how baseball should be played on video games. Fun, easy game play with fun relevant mini games. Plus you get the added fun with the Mario characters.


4.) Madden 2004 (PS2) This is the best year for Madden in the franchise. It has simple game play without too much being thrown at you. The first game with franchise mode and the best sound track to date.


3.) Super Mario World (SuperNES) It’s the game that gave you Yoshi. It stays true to arcade gaming but added new detentions. It was a great way for Nintendo to kick off a new system. I still enjoy playing it.


2.) Mario Kart64 (N64) I still play this more than any other game I own. People agree. Most used N64 games go for around $7. This game is still over $25 used. With great multiplayer modes and fun, challenging courses it took multi player racing to a new level.


1.) GoldenEye 007 (N64) Much like Mario Kart64, GoldenEye launched first player shooter games into what they are today. Call of Duty, Halo and the like all go back to this game. It’s one of the first multi player first person shooter games and had very challenging levels. I still haven’t passed the entire thing. Plus co-existing with the movie was a great thing too.



Honorable Mention-Super Smash Bros. (N64), Call of Duty (PS3), FIFA Soccer 08 (PS2) Mario Kart (SuperNES), Mario Party (N64), and The Sims (PC)


No comments:

Post a Comment