Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Spinning's Bright Idea



I'm a big fan of biking and spinning. I try to do it a few times every week, either outside or on a spin bike indoors. Even here at K107.1 we've done some spins to kick off a few events for local charities. But now there is another great reason to spin, to power the gym you're biking in.

A gym in Massachusetts has rigged their spin bikes to help power their gym. It's kind of the same concept as the old cartoons of someone in a hamster wheel running and spinning the wheel to power the building. The owner of Energia says that when the bikes are in use the building’s demand for energy drops off and as soon as the workout session is over the demand for power goes back to normal levels.

They say that an average work out generates about 100-130 watts. That is enough energy to power two laptops for an hour. Throughout the course of a year the fitness center says they can create enough power to light 72 homes for a month. This is a great idea. It's great for the gyms budget and for the environment. I think the real question is why don't more gyms do this? Right now there are only 70 gyms in the U.S. that use this technology. I wish I could use this in my apartment. It'd be a win win win situation. I'd save money, help the environment and be more motivated to get a great workout in.

No comments:

Post a Comment